8.10.13

Guest Post : 50 Shades of 4ply

Hi everyone, I am making a real effort to improve the frequency of my blog posts! I know I keep saying it, but I am trying :) In the mean time, I'd like to introduce you to a hooky friend of mine, Maria. You can find her blog over at 50 Shades of 4ply . She has kindly agreed to do a guest post...so.... meet Maria!
Well hello and thank you to Anita for allowing me to invade her little corner of blogland!

So a little about me! I’m lucky enough to live in beautiful Northumberland in the UK with my kitty companions Ziggy and Kiki (read mad cat lady!). By day I have a very grown up and responsible job which takes up a little more of my time than I would prefer, but I guess that’s life. It pays the bills and allows me to indulge in my passion for yarn!

I have always been a crafty so and so. Whether paper crafts, art, sewing (not so well) knitting etc. In fact I honestly don’t think that there’s many crafts I haven’t tried. I was taught to knit by my Mam but being a left-hander I kind of just adapted to suit me. No one in my family could crochet and so I came to hooking about 5 years ago. I got a little help from friends and an amazing book that had left handed instructions and the rest is history!
I started off simply with granny squares and ripples and have gradually progressed to more intricate patterns. What I love most about crochet is that the most basic of patterns can be transformed with clever colour combinations and yarn choices. You don’t need to be an expert to create beautiful pieces. Mind, you may end up with a house full to the brim with snuggly blankets!

As I’ve progressed on my hooky journey I’ve become a lot more adventurous. I’m always keen to try different textures and am currently experimenting with felting but colour remains my main passion. I love seeing how colours work together and the different effects that can be achieved.


Top tips for crochet beginners:

*      Start off with traditional granny squares, it’s much easier working in the round rather than struggling with rows

*      Choose a yarn that doesn’t split! Nothing worse than splitty yarn! A good cotton yarn will show stitch definition.

*     Learn to block your work! You won’t believe the difference it makes. Anita has a lovely tutorial on making a blocking board here

*      Try to weave in ends as you go.

And don’t forget to have fun!

Maria x

2 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL blankets and great tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your work Maria! I so wish I could get to grips with the spotty block as I think it looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete